Monday, January 24, 2011

Toni owns NZ, Cormac McCarthy, and Orofino

I am now going to be having my great and wonderful friend Toni write for PostCARDED Thoughts. Friends are a privilege and when you ask your friends to do things for you and they do it is a double privilege. Our theme in all of this is to offer thoughts that are sent out as Postcards. Toni is born and raised in New Zealand, meaning her thoughts are traveling to this primarily American read Blog as though a Postcard. She has been a inspiration to me the entire time I have known her, I only hope that this opportunity can also inspire you.


The shower faucet was being as sensitive as a second hand on a analogue watch. My temper was just as sensitive and because of this showers hostile behavior towards me I began talking to it. I had never given much thought to talking to inanimate objects. Cormac McCarthy's writes about this occurrences in “All The Pretty Horses” . He calls it to the readers attention as a act of Superstition. By giving objects morally guided natures. We ask cars why they would betray us, we accuse shower faucets of having personal vendettas against us. We could say that this is a expression of the belief in Pantheism, but Pantheism seems to emphasis on a harmony of Oneness in the Universe. When I talk to Inanimate Objects I am most often accusing them of treating me wrong. Pantheism from my perception begins with treating inanimate objects correctly because a essence of god exist in the object. It would seem odd to be expressing a Pantheist World View in cursing a door knob for always shocking me if I than believe that the door knob is god.

Orofino my parents dog wants me to take him on another walk. I love walks, and Oro does too I guess. His long face looks in from the sliding glass door with hazel eyes that see everything,but do not understand anything. Orofino is also the name of a town in North north Idaho. Not as north as Idaho's Coeur d'Alene but north enough to be a town just shy of Montana. In Highschool I traveled to Orofino twice my Junior and Senior year. State baseball was held there. The field was cut out of a hill side. We played on a flat slice of tabletop as the rest of the setting around us seem to be traveling vertically down the mountain side. The bleachers were concrete steps in a strong 45 degree angle. The crowd sat and looked out on a beautiful field combed with fine concern and kept with careful maintenance, while everywhere out of the touch of the stadium was the wilds of nature. Orofino the dog, and Orofino the town do not share the same quality traits, but still I am glad to have the big lab here in my life if not to remind me of that baseball field. 

 Orofino, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment