Monday, June 6, 2011

Circus Thoughts. Artist Thoughts. Fire and Rivalry


Encounter Circus, I was needing to make myself a painting. I wanted to assure myself that I still make artwork for myself. In the busy schedule of life it seems that I only inspire myself to work for other peoples projects. When we come to demanding a creation of ourselves we leave work unfinished and we reject personal wonderment because it is filtered through our own well known minds. I painted this picture from a idea of the ill-tempered romance in circus life. I can't say that I want to describe it more than that. My goal, to paint, to write, to think, to give life to idea. 

I keep thinking about a conversation I had years ago with a local Bend Artist named David Kinker. We had run into each other at the tea shop and were talking about a art event that we had both worked on and with each other in. David told me that it takes a Artist five years to become recognized by his or hers community. Recognized in the sense, that the community or the city claim the person as their own and uses their image and name to further identify themselves. I can imagine that this standard can be applied to several different areas of immersion into community. The small business owner, the future Olympic athlete, the small town musician. Five years is a large amount of time, but true exposure and word of mouth appraisal takes time. I am not convinced that Five years is the true period of time to see results, but I view the standard as a measuring tool in the hand of the Artist. Today at work I told a coworker that the only good artist is the Active Artist.

How much of the fire of progress demands the starter wood of rivalry and challenge? One can go as far he likes, but two feed off each others strength and the mystery of ones own potentials end. Two can travel together in life and each others personal pride can keep the other at bay from turning around in fear of a sign of weakness. “I won't say I want to go back, I am not the coward.”

1 comment:

  1. I like this, a lot. I might want to buy this from you one day.

    ReplyDelete