Thursday, November 10, 2011

Just as Scared.


Everyone else is just as scared as you are to make art.



I am currently reading John Steinbeck, East of Eden. As I myself read and explore, I am remembering accounts of peoples feelings about this book. I use the word feelings, because at best this is how I have heard everyone relate it. It is a unique thing to be a author who relates feelings as oppose to principle. But rather it is a odd thing to under take the telling of a story. In each one of our lives we have attempted it several times. Whether it is a account of your trip to the grocery store, or your account of your family reunion. We are all story tellers. I say this not to discredit a author from the originality of his or her work. I would like to say that each one of us has particular need filled when telling a story. Even your most quiet friend can be brought to surface at the prompting of the need to tell a story or to give a account. The joy of this process, is that there is no set standard for why we need to take place in the telling. Confession is good for the soul, a well told tale of personal accomplishment can increase your favor or a crux for a laugh. But if only all of our sharing could be metaled down to form the purified gold of our timeless messages, what would be the glory of that shining element?


I wrote you three pages all about myself. I hope you can say, “ thank you for the gift.” upon finishing the reading of the letter. But in truth I feel like I have sent a emotional anthrax letter. Please don't flag my blog page because I have used such colorful anarchist imagery. I am only researching the depths to the definition of friendship. Like a ship takes sounding knots, I myself am not sure what waters are to shallow to move upon in a friendship. But if I had to voice myself as a Sea Captain, I would wisely say that no two shores are alike in image or face, in sounding and in depth. If that is the wisest statement to make in regards to friendship and sea sailing adventures, what is the point and purpose to hire yourself a able bodied crew? If each friendship is new to its vices, clauses, claims, and endurance who is to say that sound logic will hold you on course? Maybe its simply because a well groomed Captain of the sea of friendship can describe the events of his or her breached hull with so much more conviction that we can only wait to join them again upon their next death defying adventure.

2 comments:

  1. East of Eden completely changed what I believe about the reasoning for good and evil in people. Still one of my favorite novels of all time. Thanks for the share. Your blogs are always a joy and make me miss our discussions on similar themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about how story telling fills a need for both the teller and the receiver. The shyest friend will tell their story if there is a need for it. It's not a discredit to authors -- i think maybe they are just a little better at seeing a need, and then being motivated by it than others. for authors of stories, maybe it is more about the initial seeing than creating. if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete