Monday, January 17, 2011

River Monsters, Harvey, and Sophomores

Sophomore to Freshman. Why is it that the first noise made by them is always the tone of most inspiration. I can make a theory for this, but a theory is bad application of a miss guided idea to cure a presumable ailment into rightness. What is the plumb line, and if the man with the theory has never done any such feats can he than in good consciences offers his higher view of the artist intended course? Simply put, “Why is our first works of art as Freshman so much more unique than the Sophomore practiced talent?”

I walk the Burnside Bridge in Portland Oregon at least twice a day. I walk it to go get my cup of coffee. The walk takes about fifteen minutes and I most often eat my Quinoa that I have prepared for my lunch. I love to dream of a large large fish arising from the deep dark murky water to grasp a breath of air. I can imagine it size to be cruise liner length. The deep greenish mud hue with a rainbow blue iridescence reflecting light of its back. My eyes search for it quite often and dream for it to arise. In the instant it would surface I would watch it in solitary way not directing any unheard attention to it. After all in the moments I took to gather a witness my sea beast would be gone and in truth I would want every instant to see it and to memorize the every detail.

My diet has changed recently and I am being a baby about the whole ordeal. We place our days into order so that we can schedule a free time in our live to be spontaneous. I use the order of food to help balance my daily routine. I can talk myself out of bed in the morning if I know that I will be making eggs and toast for myself for breakfast. I also have made it my habit to make my lunch every day and to eat the same thing day in and day out for the last six months. With the change of my diet and eating routine I have become increasingly grumpy. I don't know how to tell the world around me that I will be okay once I put the wheels back on the cart.

Years ago my oldest sister bought me the movie “Harvey” with Jimmy Stewart. Actors and Actress in this movie preform at a level of excellence that is amazing. Again I reminded of themes in life that are so quickly forgotten. However Harvey is a movie of brilliant deception as it never sets camp upon a teaching that must be taught to each and everyone. It is my reassurance today that in order for good story telling to take place, the writer must be willing to lose members of the audience for lack of understanding. This is a encouragement in art work as well. It was a thought long ago to me that I would rather be a arrow tip that reaches a set group of viewers with a cutting tip than to be the open shot of the shotgun. We cannot choose our audience however, but we do get to choose our personal practices towards the goal. I cannot promise you that you will ever win the Boston Marathon, but I can promise you that running and exercising daily places you closer to a result with potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment