Sunday, January 9, 2011

McJunk and McFarlane

I talked with a comic book shop owner today. He talked in a super quiet voice. Super quiet is not the true description, because he spoke as he was always telling me a secret about up and coming titles of books. I wonder if Comic followers could be classified though, you know like coffee drinkers can be classified. Example is that in the area of Portland, most everyone would rather pay the new raised 25 cent price on Stumptown's americanos that to drink the largest free Starbucks thing. I would rather read the lowliest hope and dream of a comic put out by the blood sweat and tears of the author and artist than the next big title mini series craze. He likes Tod McFarlane, I like Ryan Ottley.


I really like Tom Waits, and Blind Willie. Are those things that are going to mark me and settle me into a class and a mold? You know? Like you climb into the truck and you know that Creedance Clear Water is going to be playing? Of course I have never gotten into a Fleetwood Mac car, although everyone I want to talk to likes Stevie Nicks. And truth be told I have never owned a Tom Waits Cd officially and since my vehicles only support Compact Disc playing lifestyles, I am up the creek without a paddle.

A free 8oz soy latte, and writing buddy greet me kindly. I am sitting next to a circus style popcorn machine and starring at a wall covered with signed autographs of all the musicians who have preformed here. In my mind I hear a echoing call, telling me that I have been seeing only the existences of what I think I know. Now I sit here, I realize that these kids have done a lot with the place, far beyond what I ever could have done if I would have sat around and stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment