Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hari Seldon and Magicial Gypsy Encampments

Wanting a cup of coffee and some evening conversation. I can imagine the Stumptown of Belmont right now. It was at that coffee shop that I read the Isaac Asimovs famous Foundation Series, and it was at that coffee shop where I read several of Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan of the Apes. The tables were nice and thick, the guest to the coffee shop were people who had often walked on foot from and within the neighborhood. That is how I always arrived at the coffee shop, walking out my evening thoughts in paths through the streets. To have a footed destination, to become a part of a company and to know a company is a great sensation.

I sometimes think about modern day sales and the trading of goods and product in the context of a bohemian life style, like a magician Gypsy encampment. We watch many movies that cast characters as fun loving shop keepers, and black smiths, bakers, and so on. Why do our current lives not support such colorful roles. We buy fast food, we rush our time so that we look for drive through windows rather than coffee shops with quality roomy tables. We don't read books, we watch movies, we don't write stories, we receive them from others. Ralph Waldo Emerson made a impression upon me in a short essay he wrote entitled, “ Self-Reliance” Trust yourself and give life to your idea with words and belief, otherwise we will wake up some morning and hear another man confess our same idea before we acted upon it, and it will be at that point that we will have to fall behind him in line to see our idea come true. If we want our lives to be as colorful as the movies, we are the ones who must make it that way. Ralph Waldo Emerson did not make any comment about television, I just tacked that idea on at the end.


At a late age I was exposed to Television Cartoons. I remember watching X-Men for the first time. The excitement of the cartoon and the unheard mystery of the X-Men, caused me to stand in front of the tv paralyzed to move from the intensity. Before this Pollyanna was something that I had watched frequently. Pollyanna fell out of a tree and was paralyzed. Different variety of intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment