Thursday, February 3, 2011

Tricky Tricky, European Facebook, and 30 days and counting

Art is a tricky thing and making art is a tricky thing as well. You can begin a project that you want to stop, but for some odd reason you plague yourself with the need to finish. A practical rule that I repeat inside my own head, is that the thing that is stopping me from the next accomplishment is my last and greatest victory. It is our victories that hold us back from setting out on our next campaign.

I was talking to CJ about how much I enjoy walking to the grocery store to do my shopping. He said that in cities all over the world people walk through and around their towns. Since that conversation I like to imagine my walks to the grocery story as though I am in Europe in a small village. I can imagine the need for walking is related to the social aspect of the village. It is as powerful as a young persons need for Facebook. In fact villages around the world, they don't have Facebook, they have Walk To The Grocery Store Book.


I submitted my picture to the Boise Weekly on Monday of this week. I should hear word in the next thirty days as to whether or not they want my picture. It is now Thursday and I must admit that I check my phone often with the idea that I will see a new voice message indicated on there. I like the tension that this experiences is producing inside of me. To one thought I think, “ I could have done a lot better on that picture.” but to another thought, “ Man! Its a picture of a guy stabbing a monkey with a knife! Who won't want this as a Trapper Keeper ?"

1 comment:

  1. It is funny...what you say about grocery stores. Where I live in Bend I am only a couple blocks from either Safeway or Erickson's. For weeks I'd been going to Safeway to save a few bucks but...and mind you I do understand Erickson's is still a chain...but the employees and people at Erickson's felt something much more akin to my hometown market. The cashier took a notice as to who I was and what I was buying. And there was this bustle of community that just felt homey and comfortable. Even the manager talked as if and probably had known the customers that came in for most their lives. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete