Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Greet Empathy. 18years after. "50cents Sir"

I watch silent films. I use to own The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, til I moved and forgot to have it come with me. ( maybe it will travel the 300 plus miles like The Brave Little Toaster and find me someday?) I've watched Metropolis and read the book and as of current I am watching Pandora's Box. I am also a big fan of Akira Kurosawa, though not silent, just foreign. In watching Pandora's Box I am reminded again of the power of movement. The actors move so rapidly and near violently in silent films. I feel the same about Kurosawa film's as well. I am almost to wish that real life was that powerful in movement, and I wonder what wonderful expressions would come out of physically pronounced emotions. If a pebble in a pond can grow its effects outwards, how much more a over lavished hug and kiss of greeting and empathy. 

I sat across from my childhood friend after we had not seen each other for 18 years. By our first greeting at the door I was in question as to whether my memory served me better of our up bringing and how much either of us would recall that had similar expression. It wasn't until after dinner, that we finally opened up, his spouse and my friend were soon listening to all the wonderful stories of our upbringing. A common expression that night was my friends spouse declaring, “ you never told me that!” We talked in memories up until the time we said goodbye in our youth. He mentioned after I left that he attended a school that was tough, that his friend got beaten up the first day of school by a gang of boys. It was in that moment that I felt sad that I left him, I felt sad that I was not there with my childhood friend on that first day of school. It was such a odd feeling to hear him talk about that rift in time and for me to be envious that I could not have been there. Sure I got in fights as soon as I moved away and into my school as well, but there was something about not being in a fight along side my best friend.

A flat tire in the middle of my ride today made me walk the remainder of my trip home. By the last half a mile stretch I was using my shirt on my head like Laurence of Arabia. I came across children selling lemonade. Up until this point in life I have not truly valued children selling lemonade. I mostly see them as greedy little kids who are trying to make money to buy a new toy. I think they still might be greedy little kids, but that cup of lemonade that I purchased from them was a life-aider.

No comments:

Post a Comment