Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Row Buddy. Half Moon Thought. Jules Verne

I was terribly excited to spend some time reading on my plane flight the other day. Reading on planes and in airports is so wonderful to me. Because lets face it, a airport is good for little more than talking yourself into odd souvenir items and bad food. Having more than a hour in your life to read a book is wonder, and a good challenge at concentration. I prepared myself in my airplane seat, distinguishing myself as a stern displeased plane rider. This act of preparation was to throw off any first expressions of greetings to my row buddies on the flight. This did not work, although I buried my head strongly into my book, I was brought out of it all by the woman claiming that I was in her seat. Well, in truth she was claiming that the row 9 had taken her assigned seat found in row 8. Once she recovered from that social blunder she continued on to ask me, ( her row 8 buddy) if I was in the right seat or not. She caught me off balance, I was not sure as to whether or not I was in the right seat. It wasn't long after this, that her foot hold into my emotions were able to pull me out of my book to talk about “ what we do for a living.” ahh


While walking tonight I began to stare at the moon. A half moon burning its image through large floating cloud. And if not for this cloud the moon would have been free to shine in its black night sea sky. Our own earth blocks the moon from being entirely visible. Our own shadow is placed upon the moon. The largest shadow we will ever see, the shadow of our planet. I than thought about Peter and Wendy and how Wendy sewed Peter's Shadow back on to his foot. I imagined the earth's shadow becoming impatient with the moon and leaving it just as Peter. The repercussion were that earth's waters were to rise in light of the full moon. Which also made me ask what power is there in a reflection of the sun that makes water rise to the full moon? Or is the moon also at its full lunar cycle when it is closest to the earth?


I am reading Jules Verne right now. Wonderful, and yet not terribly entertaining at this moment in time. I am in the beginning of the book, where everything must be set to a description that I will later not remember the importance of why. Still every time that I sit down to read I am excited that I have. He is placing a lot of thoughts into my head that are making me take observations of the world around me. In the book, “ Mysterious Island” the stranded survivors are just now taking readings of the stars and sun to see where there island is at both by longitude and latitude to the rest of the world. The engineer of the group made the compass out of sticks, and is guessing with a knowledgeable accuracy as to where they are in the world. He is pretty much a stud, but my modern day mind is waiting for him to do something that John Locke would do, if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment