Friday, April 29, 2011

Kettles and Branches. Foxholes. Queen Sheba Declares.

The Water is in the Kettle and heating. From my view out the kitchen window I can see that Orofino the Golden Lab has been dragging large tree branches around the backyard again. It feels like a good time to write. 

When I was very young growing up in Orleans, California I experienced several earthquakes. Once in the middle of the night I woke up in the middle of a earthquake. I woke up, got up from my bed and stood in the door frame. I was told that door frames are the strongest places to stand when inside a building in a earthquake. My Parents came out of their room and had to pull my hand away from my brace on the door frame. They were trying to get to my sisters in the same room behind me. I can remember the odd feeling of being a hindrances to my parents as I wouldn't move out of the door way. It was reported last year while I was living in Portland, that Portland Oregon is long overdue for another earthquake. I examined the building I was working in and I took note of the foundations beams that held the building up. I was playing the hero in my mind that if anything was to happen I was going to lead all my coworkers to the foundation beams and save us all from harm. I am amazed at how a environment can change, when all around is shaking. When your car becomes your temporary house on the side of the road. When a umbrella becomes roof over your head in a rain storm. When a single blanket gives itself to three people freezing at a sporting event. They are but little foxholes in life. I don't mean this to be so cryptic, but thinking of Fox holes leads me to say Fox's have holes and Birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no where to rest His head.


I keep being asked if I am happy in my current job. I am not sure why that needs to be a question or what could be changed if a disagreement was to be brought up. It is often times that I view work as a unmovable mountain that we all take our places upon to work and labor and make our keep. This morning in my reading I read about King Solomon's visit from the Queen Sheba. She had heard of Solomon's wisdom and came to place it to the test. At the end of it all, Queen Sheba declares, your servants are happy and your people are happy. I have heard it said the sign of a wise person is not being able to separate himself by his knowledge, but to be able to take the complex nature of his knowledge and to describe it simply. Queen Sheba describes Solomon wisdom as this, “ Even your servants are happy working for you.”


No comments:

Post a Comment